THE ROSEBUSH DO YOU GET HUNGRY ON YOUR ART WALK? ENJOY 10% OFF YOUR MEAL 11 NORTH MAIN STREET, ALFRED
Terracotta Celadon Building Thesis Part 1. Sitting with Marta by Andrés Monzón April 18, 5-9 p.m. Or by appointment: April 18-May 23, 2019 Main Street, Alfred New York
“This exhibition is comprised of a series of ceramic objects inspired by my grandmother, Marta Echeverri Gutiérrez (1925-2016). Due to instability and political unrest in our native Colombia during the 1990’s and early 2000’s, hundreds of thousands of people, including most of our family members, left the country. Marta however, did not. When I moved back to Colombia after more than a decade in exile, Marta and I spent hours together in her dining room, sometimes in silence. We shared meals, looked at photographs, discussed her childhood, marriage, and her experience relocating to Cuba in the 1940’s.”
Community Table Paintings by Juanita Sanford- Barone Dietrich And pop-up restaurant Artwork by a special woman. Juanita is an important part of The Community Table. She created the logo and painted the tree which adorns a corner of the space from floor to ceiling. Some of her paintings will also now be displayed for Art Walk. We are honored to share them with you. Powell Campus Center Alfred U
The "Jet" Collegiate Restaurant Senior Studio Portraits Stop by and see the new class of seniors whose shows open May 11, 4-8pm 31 N Main St Alfred University
ART WALK VENUES 1. ALFRED CERAMIC ART MUSEUM Kilns of Alfred: Transactions with Fire on view through July 28, 2019 Alfred University
2. SCHOLES LIBRARY Scholes Library Project Space: How to _____?! The School of Art and Design’s Foundation CoLab classes ask questions and seek answers on a variety of topics through audio interviews, videos, and zines.
Scholes Library Special Collections Sketches from the FuseLab Foundations students Albers Project Joseph Albers was a Bauhaus master of color. The FuseLab Foundations’ students used plates from his Interaction of Color in Special Collections to begin to understand how a color shifts based on the other colors it interacts with. Using Albers’ compositions, students made two versions: one where the two colors in the middle of a ground are the same but look different and another where the colors are different but look the same. These are their sketches, tests, and notes, which led to some incredible interactions of color.
Scholes Library Display case 2nd Floor J/K Karen Donnellan and John Hogan an ongoing collaboration Polychromasia Series cast, cut, and polished glass, 2013 Curios Series, cut, polished and laminated glass, 2013
Scholes Library Commons display case's Ancient and Medieval Art from the collection of Donald Royce-Rolls an exhibition of "loose change" 2000-year-old portraits and logos ancient Roman coinage, along with "Marginal" book art, 12 detached manuscript folios. Items are displayed without labels as a visual study for students in Dr. Royce-Rolls classes. Labels will be created by the students and added to the display cases in May. Alfred University
3. ROBERT C. TURNER GALLERY MFA Thesis Exhibition openings, 7-9pm: April 13, 20, 27, May 4 BFA and BA in Art Senior Shows May 11, 4-8pm
NEW VENUE TSI / Harland Snodgrass Media Gallery The TSI / Harland Snodgrass Media Gallery acknowledges the founder of video art programs at the School of Art and Design, Harland Snodgrass. Initially the program was called Time Space Interface (TSI) and it is the second oldest video art program in an art school in America. The gallery features seven video displays which are all programmable. The display arrangements are a three-wide with 65" screens, a two vertical arrangement with 70" screens, a single 70" monitor and HD video projection mirror/glass wall. Video artworks made by Division of Expanded Media faculty and undergraduate students, Integrated Electronic Arts graduate students and Institute for Electronic Arts, resident artists are displayed in the gallery. 3rd flr Harder Hall, John Wood Studios Lobby Alfred University
5. Moka Joka: Art Swap Email email@example.com for info/ submission All kinds of art welcomed April 18
6. CRITICAL CINEMA Out of Bounds : curated by ARTH 300: Critical Play A survey of artist-produced machinima curated by students enrolled in ARTH 300: Critical Play. A misspelled portmanteu of machine cinema (machinema), machinima are movies created using game engines and virtual worlds, rather than animations created in traditional sense. Machinima can be constructed from edited or real-time play-throughs, the introduction of mods and patches that alter a game world, or the creation of virtual worlds (i.e, Second Life, Minecraft). Artists have long appropriated this film genre, producing works freely shared on the Internet that critique, question and playfully intervene in gaming culture. 7-9 pm 3rd flr Harder Hall, Alfred University
7. COHEN CENTER GALLERY Fitting in and Standing Out: Monica Duncan and Lara Odell April 6 – August 9 55 N Main Street, Alfred
8. GALLERY 2 Gifts of Distinction Over 30 Local Artisans Something for Every Occasion 43 N Main Street, Alfred
10. THE ROSEBUSH Do you get hungry on your Art Walk? Enjoy 10% off your meal 11 North Main Street, Alfred
11. Alfred Box of Books Library Sculptures in the style of George Segal. *Make your own. Materials supplied April 18, 3-5pm 1 W University Street, Alfred
12. Alfred Art Park Glenn Zweygardt, Coral Penelope Lambert, Jeremy Entwistle, J. Fischer, Hannah Hones, Calvin Hubbard, Lucas Jankovsky 3 N Main Street, Alfred
13. THE ROGUE CARROT Everything you need: quality food, plus art and artisans 14 ½ W University Street, Alfred 14. HERRICK MEMORIAL LIBRARY eclectic mix of 2D and 3D art of students, faculty and alumni Alfred University
16. BRET LLEWELLYN GALLERY Virtually Untitled Virtual Reality works by students from Digital Media & Animation, including Silk-screened posters, 3D prints and Virtual Environments / Sculptures Opening Reception April 18, 5-8pm Digital Media and Animation Engineering Technology Building 3rd floor, Room 312 Alfred State College How do I get there?
Alfred Station, NY
17. Baker’s Bridge Antiques 598 NY-244, Alfred Station, NY 18. YARN OVER yarn, notions, knitted items and a welcoming atmosphere 569 NY-244, Alfred Station, NY